Friday 4 January 2013

5 Crafty Things to Do with..... Jars



There are endless things to do with jars instead of throwing them into the recycle bin. One of the most obvious of these is to reuse them for storing various bits and pieces, but there are other cute little things you can use them for too.
I'm going to show you three ways that I reuse jars, and two other things that I've found on pinterest (which I will get round to doing some day... maybe).
  1. Use to store things.
I use jars to hold my pencils and biros, crochet hooks, and my paint brushes (and also spare change, random little crocheted things, buttons, and other stuff that doesn't have a place anywhere else). I painted the jars some of my favourite colours just to brighten them up a bit.

 

     2.  Use them as a vase.

Vases are another lovely way to reuse jars. I just made a simple crochet cover to put over my jar.


   3.  Use as a candle holder.

I saw this on pinterest and thought it was pretty so just made a very simple version myself.
I just got a paper doily and heart and tied with a piece of string, simple but pretty. Just pop a tea candle in the jar and be careful not to leave lighted candles unattended.

Quick tip: Use a long piece of spaghetti to light hard to reach candles. It works great, just light the spaghetti to light your candle.



     4. Desserts in a jar.

There are loads of these on pinterest and would make such a lovely gift. These ones here are mini cheesecake jars I found on marthastewart.com. The perfect gift for the dessert lovers in your life.
http://www.marthastewart.com/870199/mini-cheesecake-jars#

      5. Flower pot jars.

http://www.meetmina.com/2011/05/diy-mason-jar-herb-garden.html
Jars are a perfect for growing herbs and other small plants that don't need a lot of space. Wouldn't a row of these herb jars look lovely on your kitchen windowsill?

And there you have it, 5 simple, crafty things to do with jars! If you have any interesting and unusual things you use jars for please let me know. 

Coming up next week is '5 crafty things to do with .... doilies' (paper doilies because that's all I have at the moment!). 

Jen x

3 comments:

  1. Great ideas! We've got some jars holding our coffee grounds and have used other containers to help organize a lot of our kids' smaller toys. My parents use their jars as beverage glasses. I'm excited to be following your new blog and look forward to seeing what else you'll be posting!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Look forward to seeing more! I have tons of jar and bottles saved up and ready for projects!
    -Alison
    http://aniemandesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like some of your ideas! My fiance and I will be using mason jars as decor in our wedding, as well as bulk drinks for people to just "grab and go" (and for them to be able to reuse for the rest of the festivities) drinks.

    Found you through Etsy Blogging Buddies!

    Shawna
    jsbarts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete